What are the differences between the WilsonPro 1100 and WilsonPro 70 Plus?
WilsonPro 1100 (460147/461147) vs. WilsonPro 70 Plus (463127/463227)
WilsonPro is Wilson Electronics’ commercial cellular amplifier brand. The WilsonPro line of cell signal amplifiers includes solutions for all coverage needs, from SOHO (small office/home office) up to commercial and public buildings of 100,000 square feet or more.
Since 2015 the WilsonPro 70 Plus has been Wilson’s leading commercial solution for in-building cell signal problems. The release of the WilsonPro 1000 in 2017 improved on the Pro 70 Plus by adding XDR (eXtended Dynamic Range) technology that eliminated the need to add attenuators in areas with strong outside signal. In May 2019 Wilson Electronics took a dramatic leap forward with the debut of the WilsonPro 1100, which has all the features of the Pro 1000 for less than half its price.
The Pro 1100 and Pro 70 Plus: Where they’re the same
Some features are identical in the WilsonPro 70 Plus and the Pro 1100. These include:
- Cellular frequencies supported:
- 700 MHz (SMH bands 12, 17, 13)
- 850 MHz (CLR band 5)
- 1700/2100 MHz (AWS band 4)
- 1900 MHz (PCS bands 2, 25)
- Max gain: 70 dB
- Gain control: Automatic (AGC)
- amplifier design: Metal housing
- Impedance: Choice of 50 ohms or 75 ohms
- Connectors: Choice of N connectors (50 ohm) or F connectors (75 ohm)
- Cables: Choice of 400-type coax (50 ohm) or RJ11 coax (75 ohm)
- Manufacturer’s warranty: 3 years
- Certifications: FCC and carrier preapproval (no license required to operate)
The WilsonPro 1100 and the WilsonPro 70 Plus are both capable amplifiers that work on the major frequencies that will continue to be the backbone of cellular service for many years to come. They both operate at the maximum possible gain permitted by the FCC and are available in the two popular impedance/connector/cable types used by installers of commercial cellular amplifiers.
The Pro 1100 and Pro 70 Plus: Where they differ
Dimensions and weight
- WilsonPro 70 Plus: 6″ ᴡ × 8.75″ ʜ × 1.5″ ᴅ × 2.8 lbs.
- WilsonPro 1100: 9″ ᴡ × 10″ ʜ × 2″ ᴅ × 6.3 lbs.
The WilsonPro 1100 is 50% wider and 14% taller than the Pro 70 Plus and it weighs over twice as much as the earlier unit. With the increased size and weight comes increased performance, but you will need a slightly area on your wall to install it.
Maximum power output
- Power output is the maximum signal strength, in decibel-milliwatts (dBm), that the amplifier can use to communicate via over-the-air (wireless) transmissions.
- Uplink power is the power available, per phone, for the amplifier to communicate with a cell tower via the amplifier’s outside antenna.
- Downlink power is the power available, per phone, for the amplifier to communicate with a phone via the amplifier’s inside antenna.
The WilsonPro 1100 has considerable advantage over the Pro 70 Plus in both uplink and downlink power. This means that the Pro 1100 will perform better in weak outside signal environments by being able to communicate with more distant towers, and it will provide stronger inside signal and larger coverage area in most outside coverage situations.
- Pro 70 Plus: No overload protection
- Pro 1100: XDR overload prevention
Many commercial cell signal amplifiers operate in situations where outside cellular signal is strong but unable to penetrate the building’s concrete walls and low-e glass. When outside signal is too strong, the WilsonPro 70 Plus can’t handle the overload; as a result, it shuts down the frequencies that are overloaded. In those situations, professional installers are forced to use attenuators, which reduce the total signal received by the amplifier across all bands, even when the problem is only a specific band that’s too strong.
The Pro 1100 incorporates Wilson Electronics’ patented XDR (eXtended Dynamic Range) technology that prevents signal overload and amplifier shut down. When the Pro 1100 detects that any band of incoming signal is too strong, XDR automatically reduces the amplifier’s gain to maintain the strongest possible signal coverage throughout the building.
Open space indoor coverage
- Pro 70 Plus: Up to 20,000 ft² with one antenna
- Pro 1100: Up to 30,000 ft² with one antenna
With its increased power output and XDR overload protection, the WilsonPro 1100 has a considerable coverage advantage over the Pro 70 Plus. We predict that the Pro 1100 will become Wilson Electronics’ “go to” signal amplifier for commercial and public buildings of all sizes.
Need help choosing the best WilsonPro system?
The experts at Powerful Signal have been improving cellular reception in buildings of all sizes since 2007. Please call us at 866‑912‑3444 or contact us online—we’ll be happy to help you find the best system to improve cellular reception in your office or home.